• Sun. Mar 19th, 2023

Air NZ, Qantas, Jetstar cancel flights in and out of Auckland due to Cyclone Gabrielle

Almost all flights in and out of Auckland on Monday have been cancelled in response to Cyclone Gabrielle.

New Zealand’s busiest airport remains open but the arrivals and departures board has quickly turned red with cancelled flights.

Air New Zealand has made the decision to cancel all domestic flights in and out of Auckland Airport until midday on Tuesday, and cancel all flights to and from Australia on Monday.

Some long-haul flights have also been cancelled with a warning that those operating may need to divert to another airport.

The airline has asked customers to refrain from calling the company as it deals with the chaos.

“We continue to do everything we can to minimise the impact on our schedule, however in preparation for strong fluctuating crosswinds, for the safety of our staff and customers, international arrivals and departures from tomorrow morning through ’til midday Tuesday will be extremely limited,” Air New Zealand chief operational integrity and safety officer Captain David Morgan said on Sunday.

Captain Morgan added: “Given that the trajectory and strength of Cyclone Gabrielle is fluid, customers should prepare for further flight cancellations.

“Our priority is the safety of our customers, staff and infrastructure and we will only operate flights if it’s safe to do so.”

Jetstar and Qantas also confirmed to news.com.au all flights to and from Auckland Airport on Monday were cancelled due to the impact of the cyclone.

Auckland Airport urged anyone planning to travel over the next two days to watch carefully for updates from their airline or travel agent.

The airport asked people with cancelled or delayed flights to get in touch with airlines directly through online channels rather than visiting the airport to re-book travel.

It said shopping and dining in the terminals would operate as normal.

The latest weather disruptions come just a fortnight after international flights to and from Auckland resumed following major flooding.

Record rain caused parts of the international terminal to turn into a lake on January 27, grounding all flights and leaving travellers stranded.

Auckland Airport chief executive Carrie Hurihanganui said airport volunteers handed out hot food, snacks and blankets to those who couldn’t find a place to stay overnight.

Read related topics:QantasWeather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.