• Mon. Feb 27th, 2023

Baby Lucky: Mother Honey Ahimsa updates, medical evacuation from Bali

The mother of two-month-old baby Lucky Ahimsa has shared an emotional update more than a week after a nailbiting medical evacuation from Bali.

Baby Lucky was given a 50/50 chance of survival after she fell severely ill in Bali without the medical resources to treat her condition.

Australians helped raise almost $200K to get the family of four home on a medevac flight to Brisbane last week.

Her mother Honey Ahimsa has now revealed that she is breathing on her own again after staff diagnosed her with sepsis, severe pneumonia, lung failure and RSV-bronchiolitis.

“Lucky is officially breathing on her own again without a ventilator and is fully conscious,” Ms Ahimsa said.

“We have gone from being told she’s not going to make it, to a 50/50 chance, to having our baby back!”

She said her two-month-old baby girl has made a huge recovery and is smiling once again but still has a long way to go.

“Of course each day is still a struggle, she’s in a lot of pain and isn’t able to sleep or breathe very well yet,” Ms Ahimsa said.

The mother-of-two said she is still dealing with the trauma after medical staff at Siloam Hospital in Denpasar said they did not have the medical equipment or specialist care her newborn would need to survive.

“This has been the most traumatic experience of any of our lives,” she said.

“I personally had moments where I did not know if I would make it through such darkness.”

The hospital in Bali was unable to test Lucky to find out what kind of severe bacterial infection she had contracted.

Despite this she was overwhelmed by the show of love and generous support from the Australian community who rallied around Baby Lucky when she most needed it.

“A scary reminder that every moment is a gift that should be appreciated with full presence and love,” she said.

“Hold your children, friends, all loved ones, tell them you love them, put down your phone and don’t take a second for granted.

“I will never be able to express how we witnessed your prayers work in action and felt all of the energy being sent our way the past three weeks.”

Photographs taken as Baby Lucky’s flight touched down at Brisbane Airport last week show the raw emotion of the family desperate to get their newborn the help she needs.

One of Australia’s top paediatric doctors and a specialist intensive care paediatric nurse were on board the Medical Rescue flight.

Amid the chaos on the tarmac, Ms Ahimsa was seen embracing one of the paramedics who helped save her daughter.

Ms Ahimsa and husband Pan spoke with Sunrise last week from out the front of the hospital where medical staff were working to find out what had made Baby Lucky so ill.

“She did so well and I was so proud of her and it really wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be on the flight,” Ms Ahimsa said.

“She is a strong little girl.”

The parents eyes welled with tears as they thanked the public for the almost $200,000 they raised to help fund the lifesaving journey.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.